View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #27
FlyingNimbus
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael1983 View Post
You also have the option to ask for an older dog from a breeder if you want a dog that may already be pad trained or you want to know what you're getting already.

I made the choice to go the breeder route for several reasons (health, I had a small child so history is important, and lifetime support). I commend those who choose to adopt, however I knew that it wasn't a option for me.

If you're filling out applications, and you're denied it can be heartbreaking however just know that that's not your fault. You can provide a great home but that may not have been the dog that was intended for you. Things happen for a reason and season.
I actually wanted to go through a breeder but then at the same time I feel bad for shelter dogs.

As for being denied- I haven't been denied as I haven't even made an application yet....

But you can denied for just about something insignificant and dumb.

Being denied for not having a fenced yard(or a yard for that matter) is stupid unless the dog happens to be something like those alaskan huskies or alaskan malamutes, or something like a jack russel (i.e. not apartment dogs)

But luckily I don't have that problem since we live in a house in the suburbs(soon to move somewhere out in the country-- which is also why we havent done anything as we wanted to get settled in first before going at it-- doubt it'd be good on a dog to go through moving when they just first met us).

Still I was planning on owning a dog that is able to live in an apartment happily- because you never know where life will take you and someday you may end up indeed in an apartment even if temporarily.

Like we had hurricane sandy hit us hard a few years ago and peoples houses were completely devastated, some where probably able to live in an another house- while typically people probably moved into apartments.

So those who had a large and active breed mostlikely had to rehome their pets.

What I want is a contingency plan as well. For me a dog that is calm, non-aggressive, kid-tolerant, dog/cat/animal tolerant(i.e. low prey drive), friendly, and such would be easily accepted into an apartment. Should I ever need to move out.

That is why I am taking my time and asking multiple questions. If rescues, or shelters don't want to answer my questions or don't even respond then the next step is avoid adoption all together because clearly it isn't going to work out if I can't know anything about the dog- or at least their personality.

I still have hope adoption can be viable and I could give one a good and happy home.
FlyingNimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!