View Single Post
Old 04-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Default Home Cooking Made Easy!

I’ve been wanting to home cook for a while, some of my concerns were finding a food that was less processed and being able to have the time to do it right. I know that there are supplements, such as Balance It, that will give you recipes, but I was wondering if it may be too difficult on days when I didn’t have much time. My dogs are getting older and I really wanted to give them a food that they could get excited about. I’m not putting down kibble, it’s convenient as anything, but I guess I just wanted to spoil my dogs a little more and also give them foods that were considered biologically appropriate.
I heard about Honest Kitchen a long time ago here, but only tried it recently. Their foods are dehydrated, so it’s minimally processed, and they are said to use human grade ingredients and made in a plant used for human foods. While you can buy a food from them that has the meat, I chose to get one of the formulas that enable you to add your own meat. (I also have the chicken formula that contains meat because I’m so nervous about running out of food for them ). I like knowing what I am giving them, and I like switching it up. I’ve given them boiled hamburger, eggs, fish, and chicken, as well as other cuts of beef. For each 5 pound dog, I make a daily serving of ¼ cup of the mix and ¼ cup of meat that I make once a day, it’s no hassle and they seem so happy. There are two different grain free formulas to choose from in case your dog is sensitive to certain foods. This is also a great option, if you want to try home raw feeding. Just add raw meat to the ingredients. You can know that your meat source is clean and you don’t have to worry about organ meat vs. muscle meat and things like that. You could probably make you own raw “medallions” very easily out of extra lean meat and an equal amount of dry mix and then just freeze the batch and thaw as needed.

Join today and remove this ad!