View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canana View Post
Welcome to YT! Very excited for you to get your puppy this weekend!

I also took time off work to dedicate my first week with Scottie when I brought him home at 5 months (or 20 weeks). The method I chose was crate training and I did the whole take him outside every 2-3 hours and praising him like mad when he went potty outside. By the end of the week, he was starting to get the hang of it and I was able to extend his potty break to every 3-4 hours. When I went back to work, I had someone walk him during the day so that he got a potty break every 4-5 hours.

During the night, my Scottie refused to sleep. He slept in his crate next to my bed. Make sure you let your puppy potty before going to bed, take away water around 8pm, and just hope he sleeps through the night. If he wakes up whining, you gotta take him to his potty area. I had many sleepless nights the first...couple months.

I made sure to watch him like a hawk when it was the hour before his scheduled potty time to make sure he had no accidents. When I couldn't watch him, he'd either go back in his crate or I'd tether him to me. I had a strict feeding and potty schedule that I stuck to. I always say "good boy poo/pee" when he goes (even to this day at 3 years old).

Celebrate when he potties where you want him to. And don't ever punish him for accidents (except if you catch him in the act, then you can give a firm "NO!").

And definitely, consistency is key!

By the way, at 14 weeks, they're still very much a puppy!
This is exactly the same method that we used for our Bella (except we trained her to use potty pads instead of going outdoors since we got her in the dead of winter) and it worked perfectly. We keep Bella in a carrier with a blanket on our nightstand where she can see us at night. The first few weeks, we set the alarm for a middle of the night potty break, but as she got older, she could hold it longer and longer, and eventually she could hold it all night.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!