Thread: Pet Insurance
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
canana
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
Something to think about, just because a bloodline is of good health, that doesn't mean that every animal in that line may be that lucky. We had a pair of cats that had two litters. Until they were 12, all of our babies were perfectly healthy. Then the daughter and the mother both had mammary cancer. The cost for the surgeries was over $4000 between the two as they both needed more than one surgery. You never know what will happen when they grow older.

My Loki is from good breeding stock also. I still have insurance for him. Mainly because, with Yorkies, you never know what kind of trouble they'll get into. It doesn't always have to be a congenital issue that causes problems. Loki was 4 months old when he jumped out of my husband's arm and bruised his foot. We were lucky it wasn't anything worse.

I look at it this way. If I had a human baby, I'd have insurance for them because you never know. My furbaby is just as important to me and I want to know that I'll be able to have him taken care of if he gets sick. Plus, the plan he has also covers yearly visits, shots, heartworm check, etc. Yes, there is a $250 deductible but that doesn't take long to use up.
Yes, definitely! There are never guarantees, which is why I bothered to look into pet insurance beforehand prior to deciding against it. I guess my decision was based on a level of comfort knowing that my breeder has had healthy Yorkies for the past 30 years of breeding, in addition to their reputation from other show breeders. For sure, I could be the unlucky one that got a Yorkie with health issues, whether now or at an older age.

I think insurance is quite personal and its whatever works for each person/family. My previous dog, though slightly larger at 7lbs, never required any pet emergency needs and only saw the vet once a year during her healthy 19 years. We never had pet insurance for her either. I guess I figure with my current two Yorkies, I will do my 100% due diligence to prevent any injuries (I've become the most paranoid/overly cautious Yorkie mom ever), fully knowing that accidents can happen, and save up the money that would have gone to an insurance company towards their emergency fund. If they need it, it's there. If not, well it's a bonus.

At the end of the day, insurance is just all about risk and chance - whatever each person is comfortable with, given their own circumstances and experiences. Just make sure you read all the fine print in the pet insurance you go with, should you decide on one.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!