Thread: Trifexis
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #25
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
Adult worms are what show up if you do the regular heartworm test. However, if you do an antibody test, the larvae will show up.
Adult worms show up in the antigen (antibody) test. The larvae require additional tests, including centrifuging or filtering the blood to concentrate the larvae so they can be viewed under a microscope, as well as a PCR (DNA) test. See: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...isease-in-dogs . This article also has the following recommendation:

How can I prevent heartworm disease in my dog?

Annual heartworm testing followed by preventive medication is recommended to keep your dog free of heartworm disease. Several excellent preventative products are available to prevent heartworm disease in dogs. Your veterinarian can advise you on which product is most suitable for your pet, and whether year round treatment is necessary. Dogs in subtropical United States are at risk for heartworm year-round, while dogs in Canada, northern United States, and Alaska are most at risk during the warmer months (late Spring to late Fall). Dogs from lower risk areas that travel into high risk areas should be on preventive medication during the travel period regardless of the time of year.

I don't have enough time to refute the many false and misleading statements in the article from Dogs Naturally that you cite in another post above. However, even that article states in part 2:

"I am a researcher and holistic health advocate, not a vet. Please learn the facts then discuss with your vet the appropriate course given your dog’s location, lifestyle, travel schedule, health, climate and the time of year."

Here are some links to articles from Skept Vet discussing holistic treatments for heartworm:

There is no “Natural” or “Holistic” Heartworm Prevention or Treatment Proven to be Safe and Effective | The SkeptVet

Dr. Christina Chambreau: Another Homeopath Giving Bad Advice about Heartworm Disease | The SkeptVet

The biggest lie, of course, is that heartworm medications kill more dogs than heartworm disease does. That is scientifically and demonstrably false. I wouldn't recommend Trifexis, but there are certainly safe alternatives like Heartguard and Revolution.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!