Thread: Trifexis
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 03:05 AM   #22
Ravyn
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
That is not a good idea. Adult worms are what show up and in order to kill them you have to use arsenic and it will leave your dog with health issues and could kill your dog. Please just use like heart guard once a year.
No, sorry, I won't be giving Loki any heartworm meds. I've done a lot of research on this and, I find, that more antibody tests per year is a safer way to go. Heartworm meds don't prevent heartworms. They are poisons that kill the larvae. It takes very specific circumstances for heartworms to even occur in a dog. Also, as the antibody test finds the larvae, you can then put your dog on the same heartworm meds that some vets recommend giving monthly.

This is a great article on how dogs become infected with heartworms. Heartworm Medication Part 1: Truths, Omissions and Profits - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Also, I have checked the percentage of dogs in my area that get heartworm and at a percentage of .05-1% I think I'll take my chances. It's safer than the percentages of deaths due to the medications.

Plus, even if you give them the meds, it is recommended that you use some type of repellent on them. I'd prefer to make sure that they don't even land on him than to give him meds that can affect his immune system as well as other systems in his body.
Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!