Thread: Drug Warning!
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 01:48 AM   #9
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

BugaboosMom -- Thanks for your reply.

Because my sister's dogs are on this same medication, I read everything I could about Previcox on the Internet - and could come up with no other cases or incidents such as the one you mentioned. In fact, most of what I read (largely from people whose dogs are taking this medication) said how well it has worked for their pets.

The story you repeated was certainly unfortunate.

Drug-related deaths can be very complex - with the giving of a drug leading to other factors that in themselves are more responsible for the death than the drug, itself was.

In this case, I know my vet would have liked to see the listed "causes of death" to see what was listed as the primary cause. I would suspect, in this case, that the primary cause of death was the "cardiac arrest" - which was most probably caused by the anesthesia and surgery - which was necessary because of the peritonitis, which was likely caused by the medication. There certainly also may have been surgical complications that we aren't aware of.

This turns out to be quite an unfortunate chain of events....and if any part of that chain had been different, the dog may not have died. Very sad!

-------

I know for a fact - many people will disagree - but with your story only being hearsay and its not being documented - I would take this medication if my vet prescribed it. I would question her about it, but if she felt it was appropriate and safe, I would use it. I trust my vet.

My vet prescribed Rimadyl for one of my dogs on one occasion. I used it and it did what it was expected to do for my dog. But -- I can tell you that I have read absolute horror stories about this drug. None of these stories were written by vets - only by lay people. In spite of this, vets still widely prescribe this medication and obviously believe it is safe. My vet and her two associates have never encountered a serious problem with it.

I do believe it is always good to share stories such as the one you did - because occasionally you may discover many people who have had similar problems.

I do hope - you don't have people throwing their pills down the toilet before they discuss it with their vet. I know that many dogs are benefitting greatly from this medication.

Thanks again for your reply.

Carol Jean

Last edited by SnowWa; 03-13-2006 at 01:52 AM.
SnowWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!