View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
FlyingNimbus
YT 500 Club Member

Default Questions regarding breeders and mixed breeds.

Okay so I know majority of dog owners in forums kind of like these- and I would guess most in dog shows would say they hate the thought of crossbreeds.

But I wanted to ask, weren't all dogs originally made from some crossbreed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTXMschqbZE

Yorkies were bred from other types of dogs all mixed up and it took them quite some time to gain actual recognition.

Like all other breeds- yorkies are technically a crossbreed from the airedale and skye terriers and from the now extinct clydesdale and paisly terriers....

So my question is, wouldn't a pure bred yorkie mixed with say a purebred maltese make a whole new breed altogether if they kept breeding their "morkies" to other "morkies" from different "lines" (i.e. no inbreeding). Like say you take 50 male maltese, and 50 female yorkies and you bred them together, and those 50 couples would then produce a litter of 2-6 puppies.

Those puppies would grow up -- unaltered/unneutered and were then bred with the same kind of dog but just different parents? I.e. no inbreeding. Wouldn't that eventually make it their own breed if they kept the ones with the traits they wanted to breed, and spayed/neutered the ones that didn't?

Basically how does a new breed form and why are people against it?

Why are people so against "designer" breeds? We have Sasha a cocker spaniel and poodle cross(parents are both pure bred in their own respective breed), and she has had no hereditary issues or any major issues asides from the sensitive stomach which isn't sole to her as other dogs from perfectly pure lines have had issues far worse than her?

I kind of liked the idea of a cross because they're cute (not going to deny it) but I also think this is how new breeds are made.

My bottom line question is why are people against it if the breeder in question(not saying there are- but I am saying if there was) would test both parents for genetic issues, would keep them appropriately (i.e. not in some cold dark room) , they're fed the appropriate diets, they're taken to the vets regularly and they're not grossly overpricing the pups.

I just wanted to gain some insight on all of this. Not trying to call out or bash on anyones beliefs... more like trying to understand the views.
FlyingNimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!