View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #42
FlyingNimbus
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaPenny View Post
they have to have carbs with a boiled diet. they need, bone meal, vitamin additives, veggies, carbs, and protein. I put egg shells dried myself for added calcium.

Please understand that, lol. Carbs are needed. There are a ton of recipes. I got the medical diet straight from my vet.

chewie DOES get an egg twice a week-half of one each time. we left the yolks out seeing if it hurt her, and then added it back in with no issues.

I take the egg shells and dry them then sprinkle them on her food.
So half an egg a week is good for them? You're right carbs are needed, but I am not sure how much is too much or good enough. So a little rice would be good for them?

For eggshells and vitamin supplements. I was thinking the food would have to be somewhat moist, and you could crush the vitamins, and calcium like you said and sprinkle them all over.

Not sure about this, but for fish I hear the healthier part of certain fish is the omega whatever.

I know they sell krill oil capsules, was wondering if breaking them open and sprinkling it over the food would be good or maybe they sell it liquid form and I could just spray it on their food?

I hear the omega whatever is good for the heart, and the brain. Honestly even I should be having them daily as it is good for people. So I figured it might be good for them?

As for the crushed egg shells.

I understand dogs aren't reptiles and amphibians, but you do know they already sell calcium powder (some with D3 added-- D3 is what reptiles get from sunlight it's how they use the calcium) for reptiles and stuff. So I would assume it's the same deal?

10 Myths and Misperceptions About Homemade Dog Food | The Bark

That explains the goods and bad about homemade dog food. Overall it's better but only if you actually know what you're doing-- what I said earlier about potatoes is half right. The problem with potatoes or any plant from the nighshade family is that they contain certain alkaloids which aggravates inflammation or w/e. Basically Potatoes, tomatoes = no bueno.

As for multivitamins, one can't just add multivitamins as they were made to be used in conjunction with kibble. So the actual amount is very low as kibble already contains more of it.

Feeding raw is good because it means less likely hood of contamination by some careless oaf... however raw foods don't contain the appropriate amount of nutrients to keep it all up. So it needs to be supplemented with vitamins and such.

But the thing is, no two raw diets are the same.

One meal can be naturally high in say vitamin A, B or C, and low on other stuff, while another could be high in Omega fatty acids, vitamin A, D, E, and calcium but low on the others.

So because no two meals are the same, it is crucial to calculate the amount of vitamins in each food and compensate the loss of the others with THOSE particularly lost minerals and vitamins.

So, instead of buying a broad catch all vitamin supplement, one would really need to buy different vitamins, and minerals to supplement it.

All would have to be done to a science and still you can easily over feed on vitamins which would lead to kidney problems in the long run I would assume.

That being said one would have to consult with someone whose actually studied it.

It may not affect them now, but it could affect them say 5 years from now and it would be a tad too late.

My issue is finding the exact specific recipes that aren't loosely represented and just random stuff thrown together. The recipe would have to see what vitamins and minerals itd be high on, and which it'd be lacking.

That would make it a balanced meal, as the key is to make it a balanced meal.

If one can do that, I have no doubt raw would have so many benefits.

But that's the thing, it would be hard to find diets already tried and tested -- fully explained right down to the science of it. Because really, that's what it comes down to. Science.

Guess you could call that the true "science diet" lol.

My guess, that is why you also give them kibble. Because the kibble is already formulated.

Thing is, dogs have different nutrient requirement. As a puppy needs much more calcium, fat/carbs, vitamins, minerals than say an adult because a puppy is growing fast and that requires the extra nutrients.

The diets would have to be breed specific as some dog breeds grow obviously larger and thus have higher requirements than say a toy breed?
FlyingNimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!