View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #6
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
The recommendation is to do the surgery in young pups in order to prevent that wear and tear on the CCL. It is the older ones who should not have the surgery done because the wear and tear has already occured.

I would definitely get a second opinion from a boarded surgeon...and not the one who comes to your vet to do the surgery. It is a bit bothersome to me that your vet would suggest this on a 7 year old and just schedule the surgery with a vet who comes in...boarded or not.

If his knee isn't bothering him, I cannot imagine any boarded surgeon would recommend this surgery. You could do it and then end up with a torn CCL a few months later...I have seen it happen! Then the pup has 2 operations and you are out a lot of money for two surgeries!

He may never have an issue and may never tear the CCL. I have adults with LP and I spend a lot of time with a boarded surgeon who has not recommended surgery for them!
My Callie is one of those. Had LP surgery on her knee then not a year later the ACL tore and that meant another surgery.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!