View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Here is the thing LP causes wear on the ACL so you could get them fixed but the wear is already done and they could tear after surgery and then your looking at another surgery. LP supposedly isn't really supposed to hurt. If it doesn't bother him I would not do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
I tend to agree with you. Before I do anything I would get a second opinion from a Board Certified Ortho. My vet brings one in but I will get my own opinion as I don't understand why Thumper would need the surgery if he is not in any pain and if pain meds can manage it if he develops pain.

Thumper is 7 years old and loves to jump. I try to curb it as much as possible but you can't catch all the jumps. He has no limping or pain at the moment.
The recommendation is to do the surgery in young pups in order to prevent that wear and tear on the CCL. It is the older ones who should not have the surgery done because the wear and tear has already occured.

I would definitely get a second opinion from a boarded surgeon...and not the one who comes to your vet to do the surgery. It is a bit bothersome to me that your vet would suggest this on a 7 year old and just schedule the surgery with a vet who comes in...boarded or not.

If his knee isn't bothering him, I cannot imagine any boarded surgeon would recommend this surgery. You could do it and then end up with a torn CCL a few months later...I have seen it happen! Then the pup has 2 operations and you are out a lot of money for two surgeries!

He may never have an issue and may never tear the CCL. I have adults with LP and I spend a lot of time with a boarded surgeon who has not recommended surgery for them!

Last edited by ladyjane; 03-20-2017 at 12:44 PM.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!