View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
PinkMartini
BANNED!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by feminvstr
Pink Martini

more often than not pet quality come in many different forms. As you know on the internet a pet quality price is not based on pedigree its based more on size of the dog. Pet quality here in Portland Oregon will sell for $1000-$2800 for a good akc pedigree. Other registries sell for $650-$1500. A tiny yorkie no matter the pedigree or registry will sell for $1000 - $2000.

Its very difficult to tell if a puppy has show potential before about 4 -6 months (you are hopeful before that time). Even though a breeder may breed a pure champion pedigree doesnt guarantee one "champion puppy" will be born out of that litter or the next or the next.

Once the pup reaches 6-7 month you may still believe he has show potential a fault may appear for example once the adult teeth are in a slight overbite or underbite shows up (its rare but happens that wasnt obvious with puppy teeth) or the pup doesnt have the temperment for the ring or the coat doesnt break properly then he or she is sold as pet quality.

You say you would never buy anything less than show quality. It is rare for a show breeder to sell their show potential pups (not impossible but rare). When they do it is usually to someone they know well and or will co-own the dog until it finishes its championship.

Most people who buy are not looking for show quality pet but are in search for a good representation of the breed will pay $$. Some breeders that breed for profit will state they are show potential (the first boy I bought I was naive and was told he was show potential as I learned more about the breed I knew by 8 months he was no where near show quiality)

Why do you think there are so many soft coats, large ears, long bodied or over sized yorkies, some breeder just wont tell you the truth!! Those are the pups you can buy all day long for $500 $1000.

just my humble opinion
Where did I say I wouldn't buy anything less than show quality? I don't remember ever saying such a thing. I am very well aware of pet quality vs. show quality and that at this point, Bailey is 'show potential.' I'm working with a very experienced breeder who I'm learning to show from. If I wanted a pet, I wouldn't be able to justify spending more than $500 on it, and that would be a 'pet' from a reputable breeder.

Last edited by PinkMartini; 04-22-2005 at 06:34 PM.
PinkMartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!