View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
aweitzm1
YT 500 Club Member

Default Luxating Patella and Care

So at the vet on Saturday during Thumper's 6 month check up the doctor wants me to consider doing surgery on both of Thumper's knees as his luxating patella is getting worse. Right now he is in no pain and I wouldn't notice it without the vet mentioning it to me.

He said it is better to get it done in the next year or so before Thumper develops arthritis. He does not do the surgery but has a Board Certified Ortho come in and do it at his clinic. He gave me a quote of $2,500 per knee. Hopefully the insurance will pay for 90% of it.

My question is after care. I work all day so I am worried about him being home alone and making sure he rests. He is crate trained so I can put him in a crate and not just gate him in my kitchen.

What have others done for aftercare when you need to work and can't take weeks off to care for your babies.

Bella also has a mild luxating patella and the doctor feels she may need the surgery in years to come as she is a jumper. I control it when I am home but she jumps like tigger when I am not home on her hind legs.

She is not crate trained and hates it so I would be more worried about her and keeping her calm. I believe since she was a breeder she was kept in small confined spaces and now does not like it.

Luckily I have lots of time to think of ideas as none of this is an emergency. I would love to hear other stories.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!