View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 02:59 AM   #1
Noriko
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New member intro

Hi!

I just joined this community. After much thought I have decided to get a puppy. I haven't had a dog since my family lost our beloved Tiger, a mutt whom I considered my older brother, when I was a teenager. After Tiger passed away we were all devastated. He'd been with us 16 years.

I am disabled. I had to stop working as a teacher almost 12 years ago. I taught 5th grade and loved it very much. Because my husband works all day and sleeps all night I'm alone a lot. So after much thought I've decided to get a dog for companionship. I've narrowed it down to either a Yorkie or a Maltese. I'm leaning towards a Yorkie.

Since I often go stay at my parents for several weeks at a time I discussed getting a dog with them and they are thrilled. My friends teased me about getting my parents permission for a dog at my age, but if they didn't want a dog around I would have had to choose between getting a dog or visiting them. And since being able to spend time with my parents is probably the only benefit of being on disability I'm glad I didn't have to make that choice.

I opened a savings account last week to save money to not only get my puppy, but for all the other things she'll need. I'm now trying to find a reputable breeder in my area, but so far haven't had any luck. Not having had a pet in over 30 years and not knowing any better I had a friend take me to PetSmart (I can no longer drive) to see if they could help. When I asked about local breeders you'd have thought I'd asked for directions to the closest puppy mill. Instead I got a lecture on adopting. Believe me I have agonized over this decision. But after much thought I've decided I want a female puppy of a specific breed. I've poured over the local shelters websites and it seems they either mostly have larger breeds, if they do have Yorkies or Maltese or even hybrids which I wouldn't mind they are older dogs. Not being able to drive I can't go to the shelters hoping I get there on a day they have puppies or a pregnant dog. I'd love to be able to adopt a puppy and I'll keep checking the websites, but I have the feeling I'll be buying from a breeder. This may be the only dog I have so I want things to be as perfect as possible. I'm hoping a breeder would let me visit my puppy a few times before I take her home. Also I don't want her tail to be docked. I want to see that happy tail wagging.

Since I've been doing my research I've seen that the whole adoption versus buying is a hotly debated topic. Of course I would never buy a dog from a store as I certainly don't want to support puppy mills. I intend to have my dog spayed and microchipped. I want to be a responsible owner. How have you guys handled this? It's making me wonder how to respond when people ask me where I got her. Of course I wouldn't lie, but since I plan to register her as an emotional support dog and she will be with me often I really don't want to be constantly lectured about how rescue dogs are better. My thought is there is room in the world for both types of dog as long as you do your due diligence before buying to make sure you are getting a dog born in the right conditions.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here in the time leading up to getting my puppy and afterwards as I rediscover the joys of having a dog again. I'm excited and of course want my puppy now, but I plan on doing this right. It's been 36 years since I had a dog. I can wait a little longer...but hopefully not too much longer!
Noriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!