View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
canana
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I very much agree with consistency in training recommended by pstinard. If I were you, I would not allow her on the bed at this point. Not until she's learned to pee on the pad consistently. I definitely would not use a diaper. You kind of have to go through a rough stage in the potty training before things get better. Unfortunately there is no short cut.

Once she learns to use the pee pad reliably, then you can allow her back on your bed. Make sure you have steps or a ramp so that she can safely go pee in the middle of the night on the pad and not break a leg.

As for training techniques, I'm also an advocate of crate training for potty training. It worked extremely well for Scottie. Sadly, not so much for Casie. I was pulling my hair out because she kept soiling herself in the crate. I was stubborn and wanted her to be outdoor potty trained. But I learned that it wasn't possible for Casie. After much too long, I had to adapt and change the training, isolating her in an area with pee pads. Within a week, she proved that she could reliably pee on the pad even when not isolated. Guess that was her way of thanking me for not crating her anymore.

I also agree that any carrier requires training. Do it ahead of time, as soon as you have your carrier, to get her accustomed to it. The last thing you want is for her to go crazy and freak out in the carrier the first time she's in it during your drive. I trained mine to like their carriers with a clicker and treats. I made it into a game. It was fun! Also, inside each of their carrier is a special toy that they only get when they're in the bag.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!