View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #1
airplane
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default seeking advice about showing

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask, since I've been planning on showing one of my yorkies this coming summer, is the altered class considered as competitive as the regular classes?

My plan is basically to get my feet wet in competing in dog shows with the altered class and see whether or not I like it, and if I do like it I may in the future consider acquiring a show dog so I can do it as a hobby. No one in town knows much about the altered class. I'm just a little bit concerned about the reaction I might get from people but at the same time I'm thinking nobody is gonna give me too hard of a time because obviously the dog isn't being used for breeding. And I have been told by a number of dog show people that my dog Maezie has a number of good traits, the breeder mentioned that she has the look for showing, I've been told that she has a show coat, etc. So I'm feeling a little bit hopeful that I won't stick out too badly. She's maybe a touch on the small side at 5.3-5.5 lbs (her weight fluctuates depending on the time of day I weigh her) but she did totally outgrow the 3-3.5 lbs she was charting throughout most of her puppy year. She's a year and a half old. I've been attending a conformation training class that has been put on by the local kennel club. And that has been great and I've been learning lots and little tips and tricks about how to show off my dogs best traits, etc. I'm completely a novice when it comes to dog shows and competing but I really feel like I've been learning a ton.

Just to show you what I'm working with, here is a link to a youtube video showing me and Maezie at the conformation class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJjaqMALFo

Also, besides my question about the competitiveness of the altered class, if anyone has any general tips or advice about competing that you want to mention to me, that'd be much appreciated. Thanks!
airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!