View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Sounds like she got badly scared that time. I'd have a vet check her just in case she's not got some underlying medical problem if the fear came on suddenly with just that storm. Thundershirt worked wonders for Tibbe when he was symptomatic from his MVD/tummy issues, itching from allergies and during that time he suddenly had fearful reactions during T-storms for about a year after years of not fearing storms except for barking at the thunder, a bit of big eyes when the thunder sounded very loudly, during which distraction techniques worked wonders.

Following his medical issues being successfully treated, he's gone back to not fearing T-storms now but during that time he had full on panic attacks twice, drooling, shaking, looking frantically for cover. Distraction techniques didn't work that well that year but helped some. Asked vet, who gave permission for 1/8 - 1/4 of a 5 mg. Valium if the drooling type fear ever returned and I gave him about 1/5 of one on the occasion of one other bad storm reaction. Really calmed him down, put him to sleep, but he'd always go to sleep when I put his Thundershirt on him anyway. But since that time, once we got his medical issues dealt with, he stopped the fear and returned to barking at thunderstorms or sleeping through them sans the Thundershirt.

Trying to play pretty roughly with your dog, chasing him, bouncing a ball, having him retrieve it, trying to get it from him, playing a roundhouse game of tug o war, have him go through his obedience training, tossing treats across the room to keep him running around - if the dog will be distracted, might help and certainly used to work for Tibbe B4 that year or so of fear when he was sick. Try NOT to console the dog during that time with soothing 'It's okay' and petting, cuddling them as I'm told it could convey to the dog that you are essentially underwriting the fear reaction rather than actually soothing them. Distraction techniques involving a lot of running, roundhouse playing, action and movement during the storm, getting them thinking about performing their obedience training or getting the dog mad at the thunder and barking at it can help dissipate some of the fear reaction if the dog is not dealing with medical problems, too.

Last edited by yorkietalkjilly; 03-01-2017 at 10:57 PM.
yorkietalkjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!