View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #71
cellanjie
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
Brit - you're not rambling, I totally get what you're saying and agree. And like you, I used to feel much more opposed to certain brands/foods - and I no longer feel that black and white about it. Every dog is different and can react differently to whichever food.

I'm not against Hills/SD/RC/Purina etc foods - - however, I really do not like their big-pharma methods of marketing, the results of which we see here at times. It's almost impossible to have a real discussion with someone who believes marketing messages as facts - that's what I really hate seeing. That, and the marketing those companies do with vet students, that's just a disaster in terms of a vet's nutritional education, which is already practically nil.

One thing I really don't like hearing, though, is when people call the Rx diets "crap" etcetera. They can truly, truly be a miracle solution for so many dogs. And honestly, that's where those companies should focus on shining bright. Wish they would.

I could say so many boring things about ingredients ...but I'll refrain. My main concern with ingredients comes from the *fact* that allergies in all canines is rampant (yorkies even more rampant, by far!). Talk to a Vet Derm about the astounding increase in dog allergies over the last 20 years - so interesting! So, I actually do think it's very important to try to feed our dogs in such a way that avoids the higher-potential allergen ingredients like corn / high grains etcetera - it could mean the difference btwn triggering an allergy in your dog, or not. Also btw, the huge increase in dog allergies over the last few decades coincides remarkably with our decades of SO over-vaccinating multiple generations of dogs, which some say is the likely cause of all the allergies we now see today.....making proper vaccinating even more important.
Save
I wasn't referring to ALL prescription food as "crap". I keep a case of canned i/d here for emergencies since getting the pup. When Tink was a pup, the i/d helped get her well after a bout of pancreatitis. (Breeder lied about her age. She was three to four weeks max according to vet and not ready for a diet of 100% dog food, puppy or otherwise.) The i/d works wonders for dogs with loose stools.

It was the "senior" that has filler (corn hulls) designed to pass through the dog without being digested that had my knickers in a twist because it is meant to be fed daily. There are other lower cal foods that aren't filled with cancer-ausing garbage that I prefer to feed. I can see using it on a temporary basis for weight loss, but I would not put a dog on it for her daily diet for the rest of her life.
cellanjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!