View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
lexsynergy
Yorkie Talker

Default 13 1/2 year old yorkie losing weight

My poor rocco that i've been with since 8 weeks old is losing muscle mass.. He is the bigger style yorkie at 10lbs is the ideal weight for his size. He has always been between 10-12lbs with no major health issues.. Goes to the vet 4-6 times a year for checkups, Dental cleanings done every year since i've had him. Fast forward to the last 3 months. I've noticed his weight has dropped and he wasn't eating his dry food anymore (just totally stopped) so i panicked and took him to the vet for bloodwork and a health checkup. All blood work was pretty good, just a smudge high on the kidney and liver, nothing the vet said to worry about. his weight was at 9lbs down from 11lbs back in october.. I've tried all grain free food and nothing.. Then i found the pancreatitis diet from home and started that (chicken, sweet potato, green beans, rice and carrots) he feeds 3 times a day small meals no problem, drinks water a little more than normal but still drinking.. Goes for walks 3=4 times a week depending on weather conditions, (he will walk a quarter mile with me still on good days, on other days he just wants to go up the street and back. The reason i'm nervous is 1. his age.. 2. he is eating home cooked food and drinking water but is not gaining any weight. 3. i'm just sad thinking this might be the end soon.. The last visit i had to the vet was 2 weeks ago which they released his anal glands (noticed his rear is sucking in towards his body) dr thinks possibly arthritis. so i give him warm baths 2 times a week and bought a heated dog bed for him to help.. The vet also did 3 shot of penicillin over the course of a week to see if that would help, Rocco tried pills (antibotics) but instantly threw up, he has a senstive stomach so the vet did the shots of penicillin instead.. Fast forward to this week. Rocco is eating and drinking but i can really feel his hip bones, spine is really sticking out towards the rear with not much fat around it and i can feel his skull more, he is losing so much muscle i'm nervous. sorry for rambling so much, he is my baby and i'm lost on what to do..

http://i.imgur.com/2Wdxu6k.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2Wdxu6k.jpg

Last edited by lexsynergy; 02-09-2017 at 06:17 PM.
lexsynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!