View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
airplane
Senior Yorkie Talker

I heard from a breeder that the white patch is an indication that they'll probably be able to grow a full coat - as in the coat will be able to grow long. It's generally looked upon as a good sign. In regard to texture of the coat, I'm not too sure. Some breeders can tell on a young puppy. And some can't. If you have your heart set on a silky coat, ideally the puppy would be born with a silky coat. I think that's a little bit of a contentious point amongst breeders because not all can tell, but I'm convinced there are nuances that are telling because there are breeders who are always bang on in their predictions just by feeling and looking at the puppy coat. Yorkies coats are known to change when the adult coat comes in, but it doesn't seem too far fetched to me that a puppy coat may have some of the features of a silky coat right from birth. I think that's what you'd really want if you're set on a silk coat.

As has been mentioned, looking back in the pedigree isn't a guarantee. But it might make you a bit more certain if you see lots of silk coats in the pedigree. If you breed like to like, you'll probably get like.

There may be other clues though, such as when they start breaking white on their head. But the whole thing kinda feels like a crapshoot. And there's other issues too, such as a coat may be silky but it's not quite right. So it'd be a modified coat. Would you be ok with that or are you specifically looking for the type of coat that are often in show rings. I would say your best bet is to ask the breeder and see from there. I hope I've been helpful but I'm afraid I may have caused more confusion than anything. I hope not.
airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!