Thread: Vet Costs
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
Lawman
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
I love great pyres!! Gorgeous dogs. Well the prevalence of heart worm is different region by region and you just might live in a low area. Also I know that they have a double thick gorgeous coat and that just might offer some protection. Just remember you have a rare breed as do I, and there can,t be too many vets with vast experience, hence nobody has seen a great pyr so therefor none have shown heartworm. Just guessing here.

There are some stats available on heartworm positive tests when on the Meds. But I can tell you you don't want to go through treatment of a heartworm positive dog. As love to dream said there can be shortages of the adulticide medication and you just have to wait until it becomes available. There is the cost of the hospital stay the Meds and the real risk of life threatening complications. My gal survived treatment and died from cancer about four months later.... I still think with no proof at all the two were linked somehow. And btw we were not compliant with her Meds..

If I knew how I would post a picture of one of my Great Pyrs
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!