View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Cody is my 5th yorkie and I will tell you this, as much as they LOVE to be out doors, cried and whined to go to the yard, I was always with my now passed girls and am ALWAYS out side when Cody is in the yard. Cody is adopted we are a team for 3 years now,the yard is STILL new to him, when we are outside and I have forgotten something in the house and have to come back in, that boy is right behind me, as much as he LOVES his yard he will NOT stay outside alone, my girls were the same way. They need to have their humans in their sight at all times. It "could" also be because he was caged for so many hours. I can only speak from my experience having owned 5 yorkies, they would NOT stay outside alone, I had to be within their sight. Since Mr Pooch is known to start digging at the fence he shouldn't be trusted for a minute in the yard without you several feet from him.

To socialize him with dogs you can take him to PetCo, PetSmart or Pet Supplies, only have him meet and greet dogs his size for now to see how be behaves with dogs, if he is not scared or aggressive, after a few weeks of him meeting his size you can start letting him meet medium size dogs, BUT, always ask the owner FIRST if their dog is friendly.

To socialize with ppl, you can take him to Lowes, Home Depot and Bed, Bath and Beyond, here in Pa. these stores allow dogs, I am sure there are many more.

If he is not carrying on when see he sees a squirrel, he's not barking or whining, get on your KNEES and thank GOD lol. My boy has ripped curtains brackets out of my walls when he sees those pesky squirrels lol, count your blessings lol. I wouldn't worry about the non barking / whining, maybe the prev. owner forbid him to bark or whine, and not to worry about him not getting excited over squirrels he may in time. You only have him a few weeks, he is still adjusting to his new life with you.

Happy to hear Mr Pooch is eating, there are not many calories in chicken if you are looking to get some weight on him, when you say you give him "canned meat" is it canned dog food?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!