View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 04:56 AM   #3
Gew
YT Addict

I have two rough collies and there is very little emphasis on weight. I never free feed. I measure all their food. They are only allowed to eat from his/her own bowls. No human food except a piece of carrot or broccoli every blue moon. If collies get too heavy, they can become arthritic. Collies run, chase, run. Mine are therapy dogs and do agility.

The emphasis on weight of yorkies to me is amazing. I just adopted a 10 year old Yorkie. He is very short, almost looks like a mini bull dog. However, he is 7.1 pounds. The doctor says he's perfect but the rescue foster mom says he is two pounds overweight. With collies feeling the ribs and backbone are two tests as well as the tight tummy. I can feel his ribs easily as well as his backbone, but not sure he has a waist. He needed bladder stone surgery two weeks after I got him ( the surgery was three weeks ago) so he has a special diet of 1/4 c 2x per day of Royal Canine Veterinary SO food. I was warned that he is to get nothing but this, so risk more stones Only at 2:30 pm he gets a tiny wrap for the Denamarin he needs. We bought him a slow bowl because he is so hungry. He starts circling the island on which I make the dogs' dishes a half hour early. Should he really get less? Oh ,yes, he can now run the fenced in yard supervised. He jogs really fast after the collies. He can't go as long or far, but ,hey, he is ten and his legs two inches.

I know so little about yorkies. He's a doll!
Gew is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!