View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
Bamboo15
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
Thank you all for your condolences regarding Boomer and his loss. Thumper is really taking it hard. I started him on Prozac but the vet said it will take a while to kick in. Some issues Thumper is having I don't know what to be really concerned with or how to help him. I am just looking for some advice. I have to force his Prozac down his throat because he refuses to eat. It is really sad and I do not like it.

1. He is holding his pee. Thumper is pee pad trained but is now refusing to use them. He waits to be walked and at times will hold his pee for up to 12 hours. I know this isn't good. He hates the rain and snow and refuses to go out.

2. Barely drinks but I understand this. He will take maybe one big sip throughout the day and then a couple other sips. How can I encourage him to drink more. I tried chicken stock and that did not work.

3. Sleeps and looks sad all day long. He will occasionally walk around like he is looking for someone but mostly just lays on the edge of the bed. I tried playing with him and he has no interest in his toys.

4. Will not eat. I have to hand feed him and then only takes the bare minimum. No longer will eat dry food only wet food and only a few table spoons. He is 15 pounds so this is not enough to sustain him. I have left his dry food out hoping when he gets hungry he will eat. He pushes it away with his nose and tries to flip the bowl over and just makes a huge mess. He always ate everything in sight. Now he is super picky. Refusing his usual food and special food I have made him. I don't want to cater too much so he thinks this is the norm and he gets treats every night and not his regular food.

5. Shakes when I leave. Doesn't bark anymore (use to when left alone) now just lays there.

I am trying not to bug the vet too much since I know some of this is just him grieving. Also, I just changed his insurances and have a 2 week waiting period otherwise anything is considered pre-existing. I am trying to avoid this at all costs. My dog walker spends about 1-2 hours a day with him and I go straight home from work to be with him. I will be home all weekend and will not leave him. I will admit my naturally tendency is to over compensate and worry. I like structure and routine and when it goes away I do not do well. So I am freaking out in my head telling myself this is all natural.

However, how do I know what is an emergency or should be seen by the vet and what is only the grieving process. That is what I am having trouble differentiating.

I am very so worried about Thumper I can't properly grieve myself.
I think this is probably normal, he's grieving like anyone else would grieve for their brother and best friend. It sounds like they've been together for a long time. I understand your concern about the eating and drinking though. Can you try putting something that smells good on the food? I've heard the juice from a can of tuna can be used (water canned tuna, not oil)
Bamboo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!