View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
CorinaT
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default When Others in Your Home Interfere With Training

Forgive me if this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm a Newbie!
Because l had to leave a bad domestic situation, and because l have a severe illness and can't live alone for the time being, my Yorkie puppy and I live with my elderly parents. This way l can help look after them and vice versa. My parents told me they had no objections to my having a puppy and he brings life and laughter to our house which we all need.
The problem is that my puppy, Ricki, is only 5 months old and 2.5 pounds and I'm having a dickens of a time training him to use pee pads. I live in Eastern Canada where you'd miss summer if you blinked and l feel he's too small to go outside in the snow. Right now Ricki is still hit or miss and I'm doing my best to be patient and constantly bring him to his toilet area if l catch him going in the wrong place. Now l am patient with Ricki, understanding that he's still a puppy and just learning. But my father is not so patient and yells at Ricki or speaks to his in an angry tone for everything he does wrong. I've tried to subtly let my Dad know that berating the dog will not work, but Dad is beginning to show symptoms of Dementia and is not getting the hint? He dearly loves Ricki and loves to play fetch with him, thus exercising him, and giving him praise and/or treats. But l feel that I'd be much further ahead in potty training if my Dad didn't criticize him so much. He seems to go potty for me no trouble, but makes most of his mistakes when I'm not there.
Is it possible that he's rebelling against the angry voice of my father and therefore goes potty on the carpet on purpose? Has anyone else had this problem? I respect that this is my Father's house and he doesn't want Ricki tinkling on his floor, but l think his response to the puppy is upsetting him and fooling up my training. Could l be right?
CorinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!