View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
LucyGoosey
Yorkie Yakker

Default Increasing frustration with neighbors :(

So here in Hawaii, the land between the street and the sidewalk (and including the sidewalk) belongs to the city and county of Honolulu. It is the owner of the house that is responsible for maintenance, but it is not their yard. All the houses have a bit of a retaining wall and fence, so it's clear where their property actually starts.

I walk my little Lucy a few times a day since I have literally zero square feet of yard for her (my house is in a complex all built into a single residential property - the house & driveway are so built up, there's no room for any actual "yard"). So I have no choice but to walk her and let her do her business in those median areas around my hood.

The problem is that people are becoming increasingly territorial. I've heard everything from "how would you like it if I came and threw s**t all over your yard?" to a simple "thanks for just letting her go shi-shi (Hawaiian/Japanese for pee)."

The thing is, it's frustrating for a number of reasons. First, there are stray cats and dogs that are the ones that leave the piles of poo and diarrhea all over the place. I ALWAYS have one, if not two, baggies to clean up after my pup. Secondly, again, it's city property. I think people genuinely think my dog is pooping on their yard. She's not. Thirdly, there are a lot of dog owners in my hood but they ALL just leave their dogs chained up outside 24/7. Okay, not all are chained, but about half are, but in any case, it makes for a frustrating walk when I have to weave back and forth across the street numerous times to avoid unfriendly people or vicious dogs.

*sigh.

I don't know what I'm hoping for. I know if I bring it up that I always clean up after my pup and that it's city property anyway, it'll seem confrontational. I'm not in the mood to be beat up by a 400lb Samoan (again) who feels like I was antagonizing his girl. I've only got less than a year left here, but I'm trying to make it without creating any enemies.

Anyone else live in a neighborhood that's hostile to pets? I'm thinking when I move, I may just try to pad-train her so I don't have to deal with this. Or maybe I'll actually have a yard... That would be awesome!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!