View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
What is a safe weight loss for a 14 pound 5 year old fur butt. Meaning, is one pound loss in a month SAFE?

Over the winter Cody has gained 2 pounds and it’s ONLY January. When we can use the yard which has not been often in winter due to snow or ice, he does not run, he stalks his favorite critter rocks lol. I cannot entice him to play fetch, he’s intent on hunting and stalking. When the temps are suitable we take nice long walks within the community, also not often due to snow, ice, salted roads and freezing temps. I am thinking of food change. In the morning I am thinking of giving him ½ his food in green cut beans and ½ his kibble, at night feeding all kibble. Feeding this way every other day. I have NEVER had to put any of my babies on a diet as they never gained weight over the winter months, the were very active even confined to the house for the winter. When let out in the yard they ran and ran, they did do a bit of stalking but not like Cody does. So I don’t know what a SAFE weight loss should be. I did speak to my vet last month about this, she said his weight was ok, he was at 13.5 pounds then. He had lost his hour glass shape at 13.5. ….12 pounds is perfect weight for him. Any help would be much appreciated.
Here is another idea to add to the food reduction, feed much earlier the second meal say late afternoon rather than evening. Feed the most calories in the am. Does Cody like playing find the treat or toy. That will burn calories too.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!