View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
No, I don't do titers at all since they're unable to really tell you anything substantial. Bc remember:

*You can have a positive titer, yet have no cellular immunity (humoral immunity only in this case)

*You can have a negative titer, and yet HAVE cellular immunity (but there is no test for cellular immunity)

The only super helpful thing a titer can do is, for example, when it's used for a newly admitted shelter or rescue dog etc -- bc you can do a titer and then see if perhaps the animal has had a particular shot in the past, therefore negating the need to vaccinate yet again at that time (avoids overvaccination).

With my kiddos, I really do choose to trust the DOI's - which are well beyond 3 years and instead are 7yrs-lifetime for most vaccinations.

As far as 1/2 doses, I don't think we can assume / know anything at this time. Theoretically though, with the way immunity works -- if a 1/2 dose can trigger the response - then it shouldn't really make any difference to longevity of the response. But we shall see ! Awesome study, it's about time!!!!

With rabies, I do every 3 yrs as there is no choice.
Basically this.

I did titers on Jax a year and a half ago-ish? Honestly, it was more for... peace of mind? I realize I likely wasted my $ and I was probably going to get him vaccinated one more time anyway (he was 7 and hadn't had DHPP or da2pp etc, since 1 year old). Titer came low on the distemper one but others all said he was adequately protected.

Here on out, I'll likely just have him vaccinated for rabies every 3yrs as per the law. I can't see myself giving him more vaccinations after the age of 10 unless absolutely necessary. I believe he will be adequately protected from the ones he received as a pup, at 1, and at 7yrs. And the rabies every 3 years.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!