View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
Dsmilesatmoan
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by canana View Post
Yep, keep him on the same food when he first comes home with you. Just note that with all the changes, he might refuse to eat the first day or two, even if it's the same food. That's what happened to my Scottie (Casie on the other hand had no issues; she's always hungry).

If you're lucky and you don't have a picky eater, then you'll be good to go. If you get a picky eater, try not to do what I did and switch kibble brands too many times. It only gets them sick!

I have fed Scottie Orijen and he loved it. The only thing is the kibble size is quite large. Scottie knew to chew the pieces. When Casie came along, she'd swallow them whole without chewing at all and would always regurgitate her meals shortly after.

So now, I have them both on Fromm grain-free. They're tiny pieces. I got my babies at 5 months, so it was okay to feed them at a set schedule (if yours is younger, you may want to consider free-feeding at first). At 1 and 1.5 years, I feed them twice a day, and I always soak the kibble for ~5 minutes in warm water - it's much better on their stomach for digestion and their poop comes out a lot nicer!

If you can afford it, the freeze-dried raw patty meals are the best (imo). But it's too costly for me, so I just use them as treats.
Thanks so much @canana that is the type of info I was looking for now that I know the kibble is big for orijen down the road I will check into Fromm.

Thanks again for the info and feeding schedule
Dsmilesatmoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!