View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 02:02 AM   #65
Milosopher
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDad View Post
Hi,
I live in Michigan where during the winter it gets to around 10F. Last winter my Yorkie was only a few months old and we were just starting to house train him so we were letting him go potty where ever. This next winter he'll be over a year old and has grown a lot during the this time. He's currently a little over 7lbs and while before we were afraid of him jumping off the couch because we thought he could break something, he now jumps on the couch, off the couch, and goes up and down a few stairs with out any problem and we feel comfortable letting him do this without fear of him getting hurt like when he was smaller. However, we still mostly have him go potty in the house on puppy pads. My question is do you guys let your dog go out to go potty in the winter? I'd love to be able to let him go out to go potty and get rid of the puppy pads, but I am concerned that it might be too cold for him to go out even for a minute to go potty. I feel like it would waste too much time to dress him up, i.e. boots, sweater, for him to go outside and by the time he's dressed up if he had to go he would have probably gone in the house anyway.

So what do you guys do? Do you have your dog go potty outside in the summer and inside in the winter? Do you have an area in the basement or garage with puppy pads where your dog goes potty? Or do you just let your dog go outside all year round and the cold weather, although unpleasent, doesn't bother them too much? Right now it's kind of nasty with puppy pads through out our dinning room which is where he prefered to go. By the way he still has a good amount of accidents but we have hardwood floors so it's not that big of a deal to clean up.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Both my yorkies are indoor dogs and I have several pee pads for them. I don't take them outside to do their business. Doing it outside is tooo messy to clean up as my grandchildren live up stairs I don't want any messes outside. Inside it is quite easy to use the pee pads. I also do not want to get dressed up in the cold then shovel snow to get them to the proper pee area as it would be further from the house-again, my grandkids live up stairs and play in the yard both summer and in the winter snow here in Massachusettes.
One of my yorkies is 15.7 lbs and the smaller is 5.2 lbs
Milosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!