View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
Lollismama
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default potty training question

is it true that yorkies just can't be house broken before 5 or 6 months old because their brains are not developed enough to learn? I've been told this by other people, and my 4 mo old makes me wonder. She absolutely understands using her potty pads when she's confined to the bathroom and she does go on the pads exclusively, but when she's out of the bathroom, forget it! She's going anywhere she wants constantly. I try to watch for the signs, catch her and then pick her up, run her to the pads, wait patiently (usually ending up in a standoff where she refuses to go for so long that I get impatient and move on, only to have her pee on the rug 30 seconds after we leave the pads.) I've had her 5 weeks, I know that is not a long time, but you'd think there would be some progress? I keep reading all this stuff online about how puppies can be housebroken in 6 days, etc, I'm seriously wondering if her brain is underdeveloped and I'm jumping the gun with my expectations? I just don't understand why she's so good when she's IN the bathroom, but when she's out there is no sign that she even knows what a potty pad is. And it's not that she doesn't know how to get back to the bathroom. She knows her food and bed are in there and she visits them regularly. But no the pads. Should I spread potty pads about the house for a time? I don't really want to live that way, but I suppose I could endure it if it was a step toward the end goal. It doesn't help that we acquired this puppy in November and the weather has been horrendous since we got her. She hates the rain, and the cold and the snow, so trying dilligent to train her to the outdoors was a futile miserable exercise. We decided to go the pad route until the spring and then take her outside as a phase 2 of training. I just don't know if I'm doing anything right. I've been through 2 gallons of Natures Miracle in 5 weeks. She peed on the rug 7 times just this evening. Then snuck off to another room to do both her businesses behind the couch in the living room. This after another good day in her comfortable, confined bathroom where she used the pads like she was supposed to. help? We can't get into see any trainers until January btw.
Lollismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!