View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
flybear
Yorkie Yakker

do you " cue" her when she potties outside? Say something like " go potty" right when she goes and praise her like crazy ... I am currently potty training a mill puppy and I have even given her treats for potty outside ( something tiny and super tasty).
Bella - 5 months is going outside IF I am there with her but is still working on going through the doggie door alone - she has started to come up to me and ask to go out though which is HUGE. I still have to remind her to go out every 2 hours or so... But if the weather is yucky there are accidents. I have trained a bunch of dogs and I am used to accidents until age 1 and beyond with the tiny toy breeds ... eventually they all get it ... With Pixie - my 6 lb Maltese mix we thought she would always stay " leaky" in inclement weather but no ... she is 5 now and will go out even in a blizzard - but " go" close to the door and she is rocket fast!
As said before - it might be related to coming in heat if she is not spayed but it might also just be one of those small dog things ... keep up the good work and don't worry too much ... she will train eventually - taking longer than a year to potty train is not unusual for small dogs.
And for the new apartment ... get a piece of linoleum ( from the remnant section at your home improvement store) and put it over a section of your carpet - you can put up a gate for your baby, a play yard or such to confine her when you are not there to watch - our dogs sleep in our washing/dryer room because it doesn't have carpet... and we own a carpet cleaner of course ...
flybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!