View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 06:07 AM   #36
flybear
Yorkie Yakker

Default absolutely!

I feel a little mean but YES - all our small breed dogs and fosters - no matter the size or breed potty outside in the winter, in snow storms and at sub zero temperatures.
Our Bella is now 5 months old and still potty training. She was a rescue and unfortunately raised in a dog mill type situation where she went potty wherever. Dogs raised in filth are a bit harder to train to go outside ... they never experienced to stay clean and will potty in any crate you try to put them in... I started to take her out every hour or so and we are now at about every 2 hours ... that is a LOT of trips into the backyard ... I have a potty pad only at night in the dog room. Bella is doing much better and I know she will potty train eventually.
None of my 4 small breeds likes to go out in rain or very cold weather - I sometimes have to " insist" they go and watch them closer so they don't find a quiet corner in the house just to avoid getting their precious little toes wet ;-).

I feel sorry for Bella and Pixie who don't have undercoats but they both have sweaters for the really cold days and we never stay out long. I want my dogs to potty outside exclusively - potty pads seem to confuse them - it seems to send the message that it is ok to potty indoors- but then ... all my dogs are mill puppies so potty training is a bit of a challenge to start with. Eventually they all " get" it and my older ones know to go out even in a blizzard ( super quick!) - I always make sure they have a small area cleared from snow on our patio and grass and we have a dog door. We have a trampoline - the area underneath is always snow free - I have carried our pooches there in really bad snow ;-)
flybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!