View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Rsa718
Yorkie Yakker

Default Dentistry... losing teeth!

So, I've posted several times before about my 7 year old yorkie and his terrible breath. Today he was scheduled for his dentistry and he seemed so sad and down this morning, like he knew something bad was happening. My little fella is really anxious in the car, is always so stressed, trembling, sometimes vomits. He hates the vet - gets very anxious, panting and whatnot. Having him go without water since midnight was torture. So I dropped him off as planning and I get home and get a call from the vet with a quote for $1,000+ and that he would most likely lose all or most of his teeth. I immediately began to cry as I thought, "oh my goodness, my baby is going to be so sad." As I've mentioned before, he has no trouble eating, is super happy-go-lucky and never complains of pain. He loves having his teeth brushed! I figured he might lose a few, but all? Thats 42 teeth! So my vet was running an hour behind with her schedule and said if I had many questions that she wasn't comfortable doing the denistry today and that I should think about it. She did mention that he would have to eat soft foods (sad because he loves his crunchy dry food!) and that he would be in pain and his tongue would always hang out, but that down the line without it, he could get infections, organ damage, etc.

I picked up my doggie because they couldn't get the dentistry done in the half hour that she had left (not sure why she was running so far behind) and he was FREAKING out. He was hyperventilating or having some sort of panic attack. It was as if he couldn't breath. The decided at 9:17 that they wouldn't be able to do the procedure and I couldn't make it to the vet until 11:00, but yet gave him no water while he waited. I gave him water in the car - I've never seen him like that before. He immediately threw up of course, but seems to be better although stressed out.

Are there any yorkie owners out there who's dog lost all or most of their teeth? I don't get how his teeth got so bad. I know the right side is pretty gross looking, but the left seems okay... just some tartar build up. How will be recoup? Will his personality change? Will he resent me? I am worried he won't be his happy self and will be depressed because no more treats or dry food.

Please help.
Rsa718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!