Thread: NY Post Article
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael1983 View Post
I saw this and thought the former owners were cold. Yet I could possibly be devil's advocate and say that they realized that this puppy didn't fit their household at the time and with that the puppy is going to find a better home because of their "decision" not to look for the puppy after she got out the yard.

I do believe that if you have a pet and take on that responsibility it should be for the life of that pet, however if you realize that that particular pet isn't the best fit for you and you aren't the best fit for that pet, a change should happen.

Its a double edge sword however I get it.
I really want to validate what you are saying as far as rehoming a pet that does not fit your family. I think it is dangerous when we feel that we 'cant' rehome an animal who isn't a good fit because we would then be evil people. Training, excercise and appropriate care and precautions of course should come first and foremost and ideally you prepared and made an intentional decision about what your intended commitment was but some animals/people's personalities do not jive. There are animals who are 'off atandard' that have very different personality traits than you thought you were choosing or breed traits from a misidentified mixed breed for example that are just intolerable for your family like herding behavior. I think for the well being of the animal and the people, when the compatibility is not there that a responsible rehoming is totally in order and should not leave anyone crying at a confession box.

That said....

I do not find that irresponsible 'method of rehoming' excusable. It cost the shelter a lot of money to provide the services they do and I think it was awful and irresponsible of them to make it someone else's problem to care for their animal and someone else's responsibility to rehome him and make sure he is up to par (health and behavior) for a successful rehoming.

Last edited by Lilah Charm; 12-02-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Lilah Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!