View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
It's a bit more complicated than this. CBD can be extracted from both hemp plants and marijuana plants - the CBD from hemp is entirely different and isn't nearly as therapeutic as it's missing numerous other cannabinoids and other chemicals that the marijuana plant contains (not even talking about THC here, bw).

This abstract actually states that "The majority of dogs experiencing intoxication after marijuana ingestion recover completely without sequellae." - that's significant. Also, the minimum "lethal dose" is described as 3g/kg - which is actually HUGE.

It's important to be careful with *all* therapies, including marijuana. But it's also important not to be too alarmist over a medical therapy that can have huge benefits for both humans and pets when used correctly -- as is the same with all medicines.

Also:

Hemp Oil Versus CBD Oil: What?s The Difference?

https://unitedpatientsgroup.com/blog...ls-in-cannabis

Save
I saw the 3 grams THC/kg lethal dose when I was reading elsewhere and was also scratching my head over the article I posted, wondering whether it was a typo. Thanks for the link. That said, THC is more toxic to dogs than humans in that humans have never died from THC overdoses, but dogs have.

As far as research goes, a lot more is known about the use of medical marijuana for humans than there is for pets. I agree that there is a much broader range of active ingredients (other cannabinoids and terpenes) that can be extracted from marijuana plants compared to hemp, but only CBD has been found (so far) to have beneficial effects for treating some dog ailments. CBD cannot be easily extracted from marijuana flowers without THC coming along for the ride, but it can be extracted from hemp flowers, because hemp flowers are low in THC. (Hemp OIL is extracted from hemp seeds, not the flowers, and doesn't contain much CBD or THC.) Although most dogs can recover from THC intoxication, there's no sense in exposing them to it if there is no medical benefit. More research needs to be done. In the meantime, I'm not taking any chances with dosing Bella .

BTW, I'm a strong advocate for the use of medical marijuana for humans and am blessed to live in a state where it is legal, at least at the state level.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!