Thread: Tail docking
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 07:06 PM   #26
airplane
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLacy View Post
I no longer remove dewclaws on my puppies (although would remove rear dew claws if any puppies ever have any). I bought two dogs from Canada who still had their dewclaws and after having them, saw no reason to remove them any longer. Removing dewclaws caused bleeding and screaming puppies whereas docking tails is bloodless and quick. My 5 1/2 month old puppy with dew claws really uses her paws to grip things and uses her dewclaws to help hold onto toys and chews.

So far as tails, I'll continue to dock tails as long as I'm allowed to as I believe it is a much more balanced look. While i have gotten used to the look of an undocked tail, I very much prefer a docked tail and always will.
Many of the breeders around here describe the dew claws as being their thumbs. Some say they actually need them for balance (not aesthetic balance but referring to balance on their feet). But there are some people who disagree with that. I can understand how you have a firm position on docking tails. I agree it's a more balanced and pleasing look, but at the same time, at least for me, I have come to love a full tail that when it's moving is like a fan and I think is beautiful. I think I could really go either way on the tails.
airplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!