Thread: Tail docking
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 07:28 AM   #17
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilah Charm View Post
Like ear piercing and circumsicion I am sure this is a hot debate. I would wonder in response to the 'immorality' of tail docking if that belief was consistently upheld with other behaviors of the like; such as dew claw removal, spay and neuter, infant ear piercing and circumsicion. One could relate dew claw removal and tail docking for its injury prevention concept to the common issue known as 'happy tail'

What is Happy Tail Syndrome in Dogs? | CANIDAEŽ

And if one believed dew claw removal was acceptable to prevent injury then would one consider tail docking to prevent injury acceptable as well?

I realize I stated a value in the aesthetic being part of what makes a breed a breed and I still very much feel that way- a brown dog with a short coat is not a golden retriever even if it retrieves- all these things said I think long tails are lovely and I chose not to have my three sons circumcised. To wrap my head around the logic of the opinion though, and if I were to be persuaded to share the same opinion for example, I would expect to see consistency across the board with a series of beliefs that upheld the core of the one up for debate and I am curious if that is consistent and if not, why not? Is an injury prevention tail docking an acceptable circumstance for tail docking? Is it not? Then is it cruel to preventatively remove dew claws? Or circumcise babies? And I know we are talking about animals and humans seperately but if the question is cruelty to an animal by performing an unnecessary medical procedure then I am sure the ethic holds across the board to humans having the same right to cruelty prevention doesn't it? Or if that is acceptable to subject a human to, then why? And why would that level of treatment be acceptable for a human but not for an animal- again if it is a matter of the act itself being a cruel act and not just a matter of cultural practice or religious or breed preference?

Although I hope it is clear in my communication style I really value the opinions on subjects like these and I think it is important to help us all think and make informed decisions- one way or another- about ethics and conciousness and our behavior. I know people are passionate about their feelings and opinions and I want to be respectful of people's different positions. I don't ask these questions to spark any negativity but just the opposite: I genuinely desire to consider the different viewpoints and why a person feels one way or another so that I can consider diversity more thoroughly and shape my own plane of consciousness as part of my beliefs and value system. I appreciate hearing everyone's different viewpoints on the subject.

Lilah you are a very thoughtful and articulate woman. I so enjoy your posts and varying points of view. It is the rare person who is open to challenging their beliefs.

I believe for what it is worth that tail docking and dew claw removal at age appropriate done by a vet is not harmful. How ever if I was interested in a performance dog I might not do either.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!