View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 06:12 AM   #20
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Non fixed male dogs will fight over dominance order and that is normally due to testosterone. Also the prostate can swell and cause severe urination issues. That does happen often. Learning about it now in class.

Having owned intact males and females for years there is an over emphasis on dominance and behaviour. Do fights occur why yes usually with neutered males.
Recently at a leash free park my big male encountered a beautiful intact large Alaskan malamute.
It went well. The owners just need to know how to handle the situation. After sniffing each other I gently interposed my body between my male and his. The other owner picked up on this and did the same. We had a nice relaxed convo with our two boys beside us. And later when I brought my female in that owner put his boy on leash. Wise decision as intact females do not like males showing too much interest in them and will very firmly correct them.

It is my experience and understanding that intact males do not want to get into fights and risk serious damage to themselves. Dominance is also established through body language and posturing. There are of course a few breeds that have either been bred for dog aggression and or been ill bred. Those you are careful of. Same park different day a boxer mixed with pittie breed walked in, looking at that dogs attitude we immediately walked out. Not risking a serious interaction. Don't know if the dog was intact and don't care, his body language spoke volumes.

Owners must train their dogs, it goes a huge long way to understanding them. Large or small dogs need training.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!