View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
danniko
YT Addict

Default Stopped eating dry food after rabies vaccine

Sophie just had her rabies vaccine last week (mandatory in my city due to rabies outbreak in wild life) and her annual examination.

The day after she started refusing kibble and still is. The vaccine was on Wednesday of last week so we are almost 10 days since the shot. Her appetite is fine and she is happy to eat canned food, treats and has even been willing to play and chew on things. She will eat a few pieces of kibble and then back away from it. Called the vet yesterday as last year she had a similar response to a different vaccine but it was immediate and she didn't want to eat anything. We have an appointment tomorrow at 12:30 but she recommended that we try a balnd diet of turkey and rice until the appointment just in case she has stomach upset.

She loves it and inhales the entire portion and barks for more. So it's not like her usual issue with food. She wants everything but dry food. We have even tried changing the brand and flavour just in case but she only wants it the first day and then not again.

Is it even possible to still have a gastro reaction this far from the vaccine?

I am going to have them check her mouth while we are there because I think avoiding hard food but still having an appetite, drinking and urinating/bowel movement could point to a loose tooth, sore gums or something else bothering her in her mouth. She just had a dental July 2015 and our vet said she wanted to do one again next year because her teeth looked fine when she looked at them a month ago, but maybe she has a sore, injury or something? Although, she is eating her cookies fine.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what could be going on?

I know that since she has an appetite I could just drop dry food and give her soft food but since it is not normal for her I really think I need to at least eliminate a health issue before assuming she is just being picky.
danniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!