View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 06:36 AM   #26
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup2016 View Post
I will have to respectfully disagree. I do understand what you are saying, but my dogs aren't going to be a "lost dog without id". I know plenty are, and it is good to get people thinking, for example op? But OP was letting the dog out.

Since I have a multi-dog household mine will never wear collars inside again, nor when we are outside and they are playing together, no matter the fit. It is not safe IMO, and not a chance I am willing to take. They can get their teeth, or jaws stuck on each other's collars right in front of you. If not, hung up on something. Many people don't think of removing collars before crating, and that should also be a must.

There is no excuse for allowing a dog to bolt out a door in front of you, terrier or no. A collar isn't going to be much help to a dog that could be run over, or attacked within minutes of bolting.

Training is far more important that a collar with id attached. And I don't excuse a dog for bolting. They do not do it. But then I wouldn't open the door to the street if I saw a squirrel outside! I am fully aware when I open a door.

In fact I live on 20 acres, with a fenced yard, and I turn on the front yard light in the morning before the dogs go out just in case there is a skunk in the yard. I have never seen one, but have smelled them in the barn area.

YMMV of course. This is just my opinion after 41 years of dog ownership. I do have to pay more attention to foster dogs, but if they are not trained to respect the door they are crated when the door must be open. Or they are wearing a collar and a leash.

I used to believe that Id on a collar was the be all, until I heard so many horror stories. And in fact had a dog get his teeth stuck on another dogs collar. Taking the collar off was the only way to get him loose.

Honestly, I believe it is important to think outside our safety net. Saying that a collar and Id will save your dog is just not true, though it might get them back to you. It depends on the situation and the dog.

Training might save your dog as well, but it is not going to save them 100%. I don't have children in my house, or visitors who would leave a door open. Even so, I have never owned a dog that would bolt.
I had a sneaky big dog when my kids were young (and we had a broken screen back door) who would occasionally come to the front door to be let in.
She wore a collar and tags and was separated from the other dogs when we were not around. She also never really wrestled with the others, or acted wild in the house.

We found her when she was about a year old, and she ended up always wanting to wander, even when she was 17! As she got older and no longer played with the others at all, she always wore a collar and tag.
I at least hope you microchip them. The horror stories with collars are actually very rare. The thing your not listening to is sometimes even the best trained dogs can have a moment they don't listen, it does happen. I am a member of MANY fb groups for missing dogs in my area and there are so many daily that are found without collars and end up never finding their owner and either get lucky and get kept by someone or they get taken to the over crowded shelter. If they are extremely lucky they find there owners but that's normally only if the owners are looking hard. Life happens and I would much rather have the collar on even though my dogs are rarely ever left alone and never in the fenced in backyard unattended. The puppies comes off when he goes in his crate at night. Mine wrestle all the time and never have we had a collar issues. I remember hearing about a tornado going through a town during the day when every one was at work and they had a big problem with dogs getting out of the damaged houses and running around with no Id. There are many things you can not control like if someone where to break in and leave the door open so your dog wondered out.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!