Thread: Shock collars
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Lilah Charm
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I think that there are a lot of bird dog trainers who are well educated and utilize shock collars for training purposes that are very beneficial for the long term development of the dog. However, I believe that one of the benefits of the shock collar is quick correction under direct supervision to stop certain behaviors without correlating the negative experience with anything else but the action the dog took. In this case, that doesn't sound applicable unless you are standing at your door watching like a hawk with your finger on the button.

I have heard of wireless fence systems which create a barrier and when the dog gets close to the invisible fence line it begins to beep a warning and then shocks them if they reach the barrier. Is that what you mean by chance? I am not opposed to those because they shock a dog instead of allowing said dog to get hit by a car or lost or injured outside the property etc but I do worry about dogs who enthusiastically bolt through the barrier, yelp in pain and then can't go back home cause again, they can't cross the barrier. Or whose batteries run out on the collar and then the invisible fence is gone. I had a yellow lab at my house this year for that reason right there, with her big ol body collar on that was doing nothing.

So again, no judgment at your desire to protect your beloved dog but I am hesitant to think that that idea will work very well. Have you guys tried a baby gate or any other physical barrier system? That might end up being the best option for you.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!