View Single Post
Old 10-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
chasingbella
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozyPeanut View Post
Hi, long time since I posted though I do enjoy reading through threads frequently.
We have a 2-year old sweetie pie named Winston and YT was so helpful to us before and after we got him. He has been just a wonderful little guy and we are ready to add another one to our family. In a couple of weeks we'll go back to TyAva Yorkies, where we got Winston, and probably get another little boy. My husband and I are excited, but go through periods of thinking maybe we've lost our minds....We had 2 for years, Cozy & Peanut, but Cozy was very much my husband's and Peanut was more mine. This time we're both equally involved with Winston so the 2nd puppy will be a different situation.
Anyway...I'm looking for advice about bringing a puppy in with (spoiled, used to having undivided attention) Winston.
I know a lot of you have multiple Yorkies, does it work out well in terms of pecking order---does one have to be dominant or can you just smooch them both up equally? Winston is not an alpha personality (Cozy definitely was so there was never a question of who was in charge), and I sure don't want him to get bullied.
Any suggestions for integrating the new baby into the family, or for what to look for when we're choosing little brother?
I had my Bella before we got her brother Chase...although she was not "The only" child for a long period of time it was most definitely still quite the transition for her! I read up a lot on introducing a new pup to the family before we brought him home because I too was very nervous! I had my daughter assist in watching over the little one when we first brought him home and introduced him very slowly to her, at first it seemed like 10-15 minute increments at a time! She would not look at him for the first few days, even when he was right in her face she would turn away as if he were completely invisible! I put him in a big metal playpen when I was working around the house with all the fun stuff and necessities and she observed daily around the cage, sniffed him a lot too! She definitely took her time and was not very welcoming at all! Everything I did in front of Bella like feeding time, treats, cuddling time etc. I made sure she was first so she didn't see him as a threat taking away from her and bully him around... they are best friends now, 2 peas in a pod... ultimately My girl is my soul pup, very calm in demeanor, Shes a loving soul and the baby Chase... well he is definitely the alpha male, dominate bully...Bella goes with it and they get along excellent! Now they do everything together! Another boy may bully your sweet Winston, I have heard it's best to put a male and female together as they are much more prone to get along well together, but two males can work as well as long as at least one of them have been neutered...also heard that two males work out better than two females... then I hear the stories where everyone gets along just fine with everypawdy!!!
Good luck with your newest member of the family! Very exciting indeed!

Last edited by chasingbella; 10-26-2016 at 06:21 PM.
chasingbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!