View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 AM   #1
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Default Eyesight problems for Jenna-need help

Hello everyone.
I haven't been on the forum much, and I have now moved from Interior Alaska to Southwestern Oregon on the coast. I hope there are those who remember me still here?

My Jenna is now 8 1/2 years old. Within weeks of us arriving at our new home, I've had to take her to her new vet for the first time. She had the beginnings of otitis externa so we wanted to nip it in the bud. But what the vet noticed first was how wide her pupils were when a light was shined in them and wanted to know if our former vet had her vision tested. I said no need, she sees fine. Well the vet disagreed. She claimed Jenna was for all intents and purposes, blind.

Her pupils do not contract properly when light is shined in them. There is also talk of cataracts and possible pupil/iris adhesions. She did not say PRA, but I am devastated.

My vet back in Alaska was consulted and in light of his familiarity with her, he disagrees. A second opinion with another vet will be sought.

I have ordered a pair of lavender Doggles for her in the meantime to cut down on glare and bright light going straight into those wide open pupils till we can get to the bottom of this. She's been on a vegetarian diet for 4 years since coming down with vasculitis after eating a tainted dog treat. Could nutrition or prior illness have something to do with it or is this just a common thing with Yorkies? She's only 8 years old...isn't that a little young to be having such problems?

Any advice or experiences that anyone would like to share will be greatly appreciated. I'm absolutely gutted for my girl. She seems so much like she sees me just fine, but the thought that someday soon she might not is tearing me apart.

Many thanks in advance for all replies.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!