View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup2016 View Post
I see this is an older thread, but I would be interested in hearing how Eddie is doing?
Today I was just talking to someone at nosework class, and I told her I was getting a yorkie mix puppy. She raved about the last yorkie she watched at a trial. I can't wait to see if mine will be interested. It is the most fun ever.
Wonderful for you and Eddie!
Ha ha, as a matter of fact, yes!

Nosework to us has become more of a way of life. We play every day on our walks and every night when I get home from work. We break a lot of "rules" that serious competitors warn you not to do -- I have two dogs search for the same odor at the same time around the house, etc. -- but we do it just for fun. Some people toss balls for their dogs, we play nosework.

Anyhow, Eddie entered a Nosework 3 trial. Passing would have made him the second Yorkie in the country to have an NW3. The tough part about NW3 is they can hide up to 3 odors in a room, and the handler doesn't know how many have been hidden. We have to shout "Finish" before the time expires and hope we've found all the odors.

Eddie successfully found all the odors in 3 of the 4 elements (vehicle search, container search and exterior search). We failed on a very difficult indoor search. Two odors were hidden in one odd room that was basically a hallway and three tiny rooms. He only alerted on one of the odors. In the second room, two odors were hidden and he found both.

He came sooooo close but didn't title. I have no doubt he could pass, but my schedule hasn't allowed us to attend another trial. My other Yorkie has her NW1 and failed badly on trying to get her NW2. Again, the failing is all my fault for not taking our training more seriously.

Good luck, and let me know if you title!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!