View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 09:14 AM   #4
MandysMom2016
YorkieTalk Newbie!

My Mandy is a Silky, not a Yorkie but both very similar. She has had a serious bout of IBD to the point of her protein levels being dangerously low. I thought I would lose her. Here is what works for us. After trial and error and a patient vet, she is maintained on Tylan, Metronidazole and Prednisone which we are starting to wean her dosage down. I eventually want to get her off the Metro but the vet says she may be on the Tylan and a very low dose of Pred for life. The Prednisone seemed to be the med that turned things around. I've tried Royal Canin low fat and Hills i/d low fat and it gave her very frequent "doggie farts" (she could clear a room!) The Hills i/d regular is what she is on now. No more "gas" problems and she loves it and she is thriving with it now. I'm not crazy about the ingredients in it but it works so we keep it. She had lost 2 pounds (a lot for a little one) but now is gaining again. Best of all, her protein levels are back to normal range. I understand how scary and frustrating IBD can be and it may be something your Yorkie deals with for life but it is manageable. Best of luck.

Last edited by MandysMom2016; 10-19-2016 at 09:17 AM.
MandysMom2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!