View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 07:17 AM   #4
Higgin's Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Higgins is 9 1/2 months old now and 7 lbs. The vet predicts that when he's all done growing, he'll be a big boy of about 8 lbs., which is fine with us. I am not exactly tiny (boy, that's putting it mildly!), so I didn't want one toooooo tiny. (Actually, I wanted a Pug, because that's what I look like, but Don wanted a Yorkie, but that's NOT what he looks like, but he am a terrier at heart.....I digress.....again....) There are all kinds of formulas for guessing what they will grow to be, but none of them worked for Higgins. Chances are that if both parents are smallish, the puppies will tend to be smaller. Higgin's mother was a whopping 10 lbs and his father was 5 lbs. He's right in the middle. However, his sister was a much larger baby....don't know what she is now. A lot of breeders emphasize the small size of their pups, but the fact is Yorkies can range for 2 lbs to more than 12 lbs and it there are no guarantees. The only thing you can be pretty sure of is that whatever they weigh, you'll love them like you've never loved any other doggie in your life!

Higgins is named for the mannerly British gentleman character on "Magnum P.I." When we got Higgins, he was so tiny and energetic, that Don wanted to call him "Magnum" and that gave me the idea for Higgins......Thought he might grown up to have nice British manners for a British dog.....HA HA HA HA!

You mention that it was cold this morning when you took Diesel out to pee....Having owned many dogs over the years, winter is the BEST time to housetrain a puppy to the outside! If you get them in the summer and take them outside to go, they just like to play and smell the flowers and take FOREVER to pee. But in WINTER, that little tinkler gets cold in a hurry and they pee fast! So take him out for just a few minutes, but don't let him get thoroughly chilled.

I notice that you live in Stamford, Ct. I lived on Shippan Point there many years ago. Then lived in Rowayton, and finally for 8 years in Essex, CT.

Last edited by Higgin's Mom; 10-06-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Higgin's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!