View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #13
flybear
Yorkie Yakker

congrats! I have fostered many - many - dogs and puppies and some have stuck with us ... I have learned over the years that I like a certain personality - and all my dogs need to get along well with each other- it makes for a peaceful and positive family environment. As much as I like to " save" every dog out there - some are not a good fit for us ( no matter how urgent their placement is) and sometimes I have to find them a new foster home asap! Especially dominant ones are an issue as my own dogs are on the shy and fearful side. I can deal with fear, potty issues, health problems, matted coats and I like getting fearful and shy dogs to relax - but having an overly dominant dog in our family spells disaster. I just found a wonderful home for a little dominant rascal- cute as a button but even at the tender age of 12 weeks humped everything in sight and terrified my older dogs- to the point were my older dog did not want to fetch anymore ( his favorite thing ever!) ... Bella on the other hand - who was supposed to find a home will stay because all 3 of my dogs love her - it is almost like she was made for our family. When people say they get a puppy they often expect a " blank slate" - I find that every puppy is different and they come with their own personality ... behavior can be modified but in the end certain personality traits are just genetic .
flybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!