View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
Kerryn915
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEB View Post
Does any one here have any experience with a collapsing trachea. My Kelli just turned 3 and we have this problem. She is on steroids but she still has episodes of the seal like barking. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated thank you
I lost my boy in April from collapsed trachea. He was only 3. Please find a vet that treats and realizes the seriousness of the issue. It is a progressive disease and it's not as common in younger dogs, so some vets dismiss it. The cough needs to be suppressed and there are some medications that help. Hycodan is the best and actually suppresses the coughing reflex in the brain. It's a narcotic though and some vets don't like to prescribe it. I believe this drug would have saved my baby. I made the fatal mistake of not getting a second opinion and trusting my vet that it wasn't serious and that he would be fine. My boy was also treated with steroids and once he was weened off, the coughing came back even worse and he did not recover from the final episode. I'm sorry for the diagnosis, but with the proper medication you pup can live a long life. Another member on this forum just lost her boy at 17 years old. His trachea collapse was successfully managed with hycodan for years.
Kerryn915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!