View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
MandysMom2016
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New member and need some advise - PLE

Hi. I confess right off the bat that I don't have I Yorkie. I have a silky terrier and I understand that they are very similar. I just can't find a silky terrier forum.

My Mandy has had chronic diarrhea for months. Her vet tested her for EPI (endocrine pancreatic insufficiency) and she is negative for that. All her enzyme levels came back back normal. However, she had a very low protein count in her blood which could suggest PLE (protein losing enteropathy). I took Mandy to another vet for a second opinion. She is the one who diagnosed the PLE but had me take her off the Metronidazole and Tylan. Within a day, her stool was liquid once again.

Mandy is currently on Prednisone 2.5mg twice a day (into her 5th week) as well as Metronidazole and Tylan. Her stools are now formed but fairly soft. My confusion is her food. When this all began, she weighted 9.8 #. As of now, she is 7.6 # and I can feel her spine. Her current vet was unsure of low fat food because of her weight loss but everything I've read says low fat. She eats like a horse - has been on Hills i/d regular and the low fat version. Also was on Royal Canin low fat for awhile. The problem is that she gets very gassy and has horrible smelling "doggie farts" with the low fat. They smell like her food which is telling me that the food is not being digested. This resolves when she is on the regular i/d but tonight her tummy is bloated. Amazingly, with all this, she acts like a happy camper.

I have read that Yorkies an be prone to this and, as I said, I think silkies are the same. Do any of your babies have this and what are you doing? I feel kind of alone in all this.

Thanks.
MandysMom2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!